Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Thursday Think Tank # 80 - Choices

What after tenth?
A choice between
streams of study, each
as unappealing as the other.

Just plain old
science, arts OR commerce,
as if these aspects of
the world don't work together.

Each choice in itself is
a dead end,
an overload of information
that could be chucked
out from the
dustbin of my memory.

Two painful years might
be wasted learning nothing.

If only i could learn
only that which is
useful and beautiful
in this world:
that will be all the
education i need.

7 comments:

  1. This is so well stated. But I don't necessarily agree. As a result, now retired, I appreciate my education being well rounded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what even my mother tells me: well rounded education will make me more complete as a person. But this poem is about what i believe will happen, not what i know will happen.

      Delete
  2. This poem perfectly articulates how many of us feel as we embark on the next stage of our education. The wonderful things you do not yet know will unfold over time, as benefits of aging, we top off our knowledge with wisdom and sagacity. You have so much to look forward to, MaddY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. indeed - agree with booguloo - and, I'm sure you're tired of hearing it but you are still very young ... good poem tho'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Education teaches us to think Maddie - even the process of doing something we don't particularly enjoy, if we do it with grace and without complaining can work grace in us. I like the poem except for the slang term 'chucked.' See if you can find another phrase whose impact is just as strong or stronger even, but using the Queen's English. Hugs to my nieces in India!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, I meant to say 'can work character in us.'

    ReplyDelete